Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Black Label Society "Order Of The Black" Review

Band: Black Label Society
Album: Order Of The Black
Homepage: www.blacklabelsociety.com

One of the first concerts I ever went to was Ozzy Osbourne in Sacramento on the "No Rest For The Wicked" tour (you know, his retirement tour). Well, it was also Zakk Wylde's first tour with Ozzy. That record and that show made me a diehard Zakk fan, and when he released the first Black Label Society album "Sonic Brew" I was hooked. In just over ten years BLS has released eight studio albums, one live album, and two compilations. I'd like anyone to show me any other musical artist you has been that productive.

"Order Of The Black" starts off rocking with three fast paced tracks in a row, Crazy Horse, Overlord, & Parade Of The Dead. All three songs are great rockers and Zakk's voice has never sounded stronger, and if anything his vocal range is either expanding or the production is getting better. A ballad, Black Sunday, is next and followed with a couple of mid temp rockers Black Sunday and Southern Dissolution. Time Waits For No One is another ballad. Zakk picks it back up with a couple more rockers again with Godspeed Hellbound and War Of Heaven. Shallow Grave is another ballad Chupacabra is a short acoustic piece similar to short pieces Zakk has put on about half of BLS albums. Riders Of The Damned is another mid temp rocker and the album finishes with another ballad, January. The Best Buy version includes two bonus tracks, Junior's Eyes and Helpless, both ballads.

I normally don't like doing track by track listings in my reviews, but I wanted to show the mix that BLS does, mixing up tempo and mid tempo rockers with ballads. The mix is pretty good, my only real complaint is with the Best Buy version the end is weighted a little heavy with the ballads, and you kind of makes the end feel like it drags on. I really think they should of made one of the bonus tracks a rocker.

Over all I love this album and think it is one of Black Label Society's best. If this album doesn't make you a BLS fan then nothing could.

Favorite songs: Another tough one, but the ones that stick out to me are Godspeed Hellbound, War Of Heaven, and Overlord.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment